Monday

Let England be England

England again! In London, where I stayed for a few nights seeing friends and squandering away a fortune (it's a wonderful city in which to pretend to be a millionaire; a friend and I met for lunch at the cafeteria-like but scrumptious Nobu for the £50 set lunch) I put myself up at the Lanesborough, having been put off by horror stories about the now-shabby rooms and deteriorating service at good old Claridge's. The Lanesborough is now my favorite hotel in London: even if you know that its old country-house feeling is complete artifice, since it doesn't have the pedigree of, say, the Connaught, which is far too masculine and lacks the femininity that used to be Claridge's edge [that was supposed to be a genitive; note to self: find out possessive form for such names]. Summer is thankfully over and even in Chelsea only those who truly spent a fortune on their slimming and tanning are making last-ditch attempts to expose skin in the increasingly chilly weather.

A few tears, well-shed, for my Sloane Avenue flat; but upwards and onwards! To Oxford this time, and the full-fledged adventure of full-fledged university life! Actually, it has already caught me up in such a swirl that I haven't had time to blog since I arrived. And there's so much to tell...but bedtime calls if I'm to be sentient for the lecture at 10 am tomorrow morning.

1 comment:

Stephen said...

Good to see you've returned to blog town as well.